Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Joyful

What does is really mean to have joy? What does it mean to be joyful?

joy.ful adjective \ˈji-fəl\ : feeling, causing, or showing great happiness: full of joy

Synonyms: blissful, delighted, gratified, happy, glad, joyous, pleased, satisfied, thankful, tickled

Friends, I've struggled with this for a long time. I can remember as a teenager praying for the joy of the Lord. It has always been something I've wanted so badly but I've honestly been afraid of having it - so I've never truly asked for it.

There was a message at church this past week that really spoke to my heart. The gist of it was that we need to stop being afraid to ask God for little tiny things and to be bold and let Him know the desires of our heart. Don't just ask Him for socks and underwear when He wants to give you the big screen TV. It hit me and has been weighing heavy on my heart. I always feel guilty for asking God for things because I feel like there are so many other things that are more important. Like people who are starving, dying, or homeless. The truth is that God cares about my desires as much as He does the person with needs that I can't even imagine. The truth is that we all have the same need - which is our salvation.

John 16:24 Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. 

I've decided that I'm asking joy. The unspeakable joy that I sing about in worship. The joy that I know is real because I know Jesus. The joy that I have little glimpses of daily, but I am afraid to let consume me because of what that might actually mean. The faith-altering, life-changing joy that changes my view of the world and I how respond to basically everything in my life.

I am praying to be blissful in my spiritual walk; delighted in my husband and children; thankful for my struggles; satisfied with my materialistic possessions; and happy with my friendships and family.

I want a life full of joy and I'm asking God for it this year.

Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

Romans 12:12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

James 1:2-4 Count it all joy, my brothers,[when you meet trials of various kinds,  for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.

John 15:11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. 

-Peace out. May you find joy in all things. 

No comments: