Thursday, April 04, 2013

Labels

Labels. Are they a good thing or  bad thing? Why would you want your child labeled?

I'll tell you. We were hesitant to tell others. We almost thought about not telling the school when Harrison was first diagnosed. We felt that it hadn't really been an issue and we would just be making it an issue. Honestly, when he first got diagnosed, his differences were just really becoming obvious and keeping it a secret would be nearly impossible  as the year progressed.

Two things happened. The first is that I realized that if this diagnosis was a part of my son that we didn't need to be ashamed of it. It was a PART of him and we love ALL of him. The second is that I realized that those labels can be helpful. I will elaborate on my second point.

Chances are if you are reading my blog, you know me. I'm kind of weird. I've gotten even weirder as I've gotten older and became a parent. I do things differently than most mainstream ways. I don't really fit it. I mostly identify with the crunchy crowd, hence "hippie" being part of my blog name. The more I read - the weirder I get. I've found a few close friends that I can closely relate with and it is a relief. It is nice being able to have a conversation about breastfeeding your toddler (who is wearing a viking helmet) to your friend without feeling like a weirdo. Because I tend to be different and identify with the crunchy crowd, I appreciate the label. It helps me find like minded friends who get me. I'm not saying they are my only friends because I like having friends from all walks of life....but having a few that just understand you is so important.

People like to be able to identify with others. It makes us feel like we aren't alone and that someone really gets us.

I can't speak for everyone on the spectrum obviously, but I know that before my son was diagnosed, he told me that his brain was different. We weren't sure how to tell him about having Aspergers, so we ordered a few children's book on it so that he might be able to understand. He wasn't really surprised, as the social differences were definitely more of an issue for him as a first grader. He was definitely feeling like an outsider. Now as a second grader, he still doesn't fully understand everything, but he knows he is different. Oddly enough (or maybe not?) he tends to gravitate toward other kids on the spectrum as his buddies. Maybe they get each other? I feel like knowing that there is a name for his differences will help him identify and not feel like such an outsider in the long run.

Most importantly, having that label will likely qualify your child for much need therapy. I know that more often than not, sensory issues accompany a spectrum diagnosis. If my child can benefit from occupational therapy, physical therapy, vision therapy, core strengthening, social skills therapy, etc. then I want to be able to provide it for him at some point in his life. Unfortunately we can't give our son every single therapy he might benefit from, so we prioritize on what he needs most. This is where a specific diagnosis really comes in handy.

So in my opinion having a label or a diagnosis is more helpful than anything. It gives your child a chance to identify with others. It also helps them receive assistance so that they can reach their true potential. If I had to do it over again, I'd certainly do it the same way (only earlier).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.