Friday, April 12, 2013

Bedtime with my Aspie

-->
Tonight we visited with friends and had our kids out later than usual. Then we drove around a tad bit longer to make sure that the 2 sleepers were good and asleep. It makes bedtime 100x easier when you only have 1 to get in bed as opposed to 3. Harrison had been asking for water during the entire car ride. He reminded me that he wanted water when I came to tuck him in for the night. We have these squeezy water bottles with interchangeable heads.

Let me back track a moment. I’m exhausted and it has been a long week. We store our water bottles in a hanging thing in our playroom closet. There were a few bags laying in front of the closet and the lights were off. I just needed bedtime to happen quickly so I could crash on the couch and drink my wine. Hey, I’m being honest.

So I grab the first water bottle I see due to reasons listed above. It happens to be a girly water bottle. Oh well, I think. He’s tired and it really doesn’t matter. I fill it up with water and take it to him.

Here is how the conversation went.

Harrison: “Um, mom. You realize this is a girl water bottle, right? “

Me: “Yes, but it’s fine.”

Harrison: “No it isn’t. I want another one.”

Me: “Harrison, you are thirsty. Just drink the water. I don’t have a boy water bottle clean.” (Ok, so I may have, but I wasn’t digging for one in the dark.)

Harrison: “Go ahead and wash one. “

Me: “I will wash them later. Right now, if you are thirsty you will drink out of this one.”

Harrison: shakes his head no (I think we bantered a bit back and forth about me washing a cup because he was too stubborn to drink out of a girl cup)

Me: “Oh well. Sorry. “

Harrison: shakes his head no

Me: “I don’t understand the problem. This is a Belle water bottle. You like Beauty and the Beast. The Beast is cool. And Belle has a really cool tea party and cool friends….like Chip, Mrs. Potts, and that cute little puppy thing. She wants you to “Be her guest.” You could pretend to be the Beast. He’s a neat guy.”

Harrison: rolls his eyes and shakes his head no

Me: “What? The Beast is a nice guy. Misunderstood, but nice.”

Harrison: glares at me

Me: “And he turns into a handsome prince”. (my voice might have been a little dreamy and sing-songish)

Harrison:  “Mom…”

Chris inserts some comment about me watching too many Disney movies and how I’m wasting bed time flavor.

Me: singing dramatically “Tale as old as time. True as it can be. Barely even friends. Then somebody bends. Unexpectedly.” I might have been dancing a bit. I don’t remember.

Harrison, then smiled and shook his fist at me. Then covered his head like I was torturing him.

Me: “Well, if you get thirsty,  Belle wants you to be her guest.”

I exit the room. Fast forward about 5 minutes later. I’m unloading the dishwasher (which I couldn’t remember if it was clean or dirty so I didn’t offer it as a solution during bedtime). I find a Spider Man head for the water bottle. Chris tells me I should offer a switch since he is so thirsty. I go into his room.

Me: “Hand me Belle, please.”

Harrison: “No.”

Me: “Look here. I have a Spider Man head to switch out for Belle.”

Harrison: “It’s okay. I was invited. I took a sip from Belle already and joined her tea party. “

Me: (smirking) “So you don’t want me to switch it?”

Harrison: “It’s okay.” Rolls over and closes his eyes.

I love this kid. There is a never a dull moment with him. Of course, he does have a ridiculous mother too. God love him. Haha.

No comments: