Sunday, July 03, 2005

Scared....

Well, I don't think either one of us has posted in quite a while. Life has been busy since our sweet bundle of joy arrived. He changes so much everyday...it's just amazing. Harrison is smiling and cooing like crazy. My sister Daresa (that lives in Colorado) arrived to TN on 6/23 with her hubbie and 2 girls. Troy left eary and they are staying until 7/8 or so. We have had fun catching up...it's been 2 years since I have seen them. The girls adore Harrison and make quite nice little helpers. Bailey is the "calmer downer" because she can soothe him and make him stop crying. Camryn is the "diaper changer". She helps wipe him and fasten the diaper tabs. It's really cute. So many things have happened in the past few weeks but I am really only here to post about one thing.
Friday morning I was nursing Harrison on my mom and dad's porch. He was only wearing his diaper because he had peed on his PJ's. I noticed a large bump on the left side of his ribcage. I asked my sister if it looked normal. We compared it to her daughter's ribs and concluded that it is probably just his rib but I should ask Dr. Jones about it. So I really didn't think much about it after that. Well that night when Chris picked him up he noticed it. It grew larger throughout the day. We put him on the changing table to exam it and it looked pretty big. So we call Dr. Deb (my sister is a pediatric nurse for our doctor) and described it to her. She says she will look at it tomorrow and if it isn't causing him pain it probably is okay and to make a dr's appt for Tuesday. As far as the pain thing...he is acting just fine. He kind of squirms when you touch it but he squirms when you touch his ribs in general. Well Saturday he was in a wonderful mood....smiling and cooing more than normal so we figured it was okay. I changed his dr's appt from Thursday to Tuesday morning just so we could have peace of mind. Well later on Saturday when we went to my parents house my 2 nurse sisters looked at it and told us to take him to the ER due to its size. So we take him and they do chest x-rays to rule out a fracture. The doctor there told us after 3 x-rays that he has no idea what it is...his guess is a benign mass. He advises us to follow up with our pediatrician on Tuesday for further evaluation and to come back if it grows or seems to cause him pain. He has done fine today...no more crying than normal and doesn't seem to be in pain. It does not appear to be any larger. For some reason my mind is full of worry tonight though. I keep thinking...can babies get cancer? I honestly have never been so scared in all of my life. I cannot wait for Tuesday morning to get here so we can set our minds at ease.

So anyone that reads this post, please pray for our sweet baby boy.

No comments: