Saturday, February 25, 2012

Enjoying His presence in the present journey

-->
I can’t even begin to express how much I needed this devotional that I’m doing for Lent. Day 3 hit home with me.

Here is a quote I’d like to share. 

“You see huge mountains looming, and you start wondering how you’re going to scale those heights. Meanwhile, because you’re not looking where you’re going, you stumble on the easy path where I am leading you now. As I help you get back on your feet, you tell Me how worried you are about the cliffs up ahead. But you don’t know what will happen today, much less tomorrow. Our path may take an abrupt turn, leading you away from those mountains. There may be an easier way up the mountains than is visible from this distance. If I do lead you up the cliffs, I will equip you thoroughly for that strenuous climb. I will even give My angels charge over you, to preserve you in all your ways.”

40 Days with Jesus – Celebrating His Presence by Sarah Young

For we walk by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7

I know that. I have known that as long as I can remember, but it much easier to quote the verse than to live it. If I truly walk with my faith in God, then I don’t really need to worry. And the Bible tells me many times that I shouldn’t worry.

After reading that excerpt from the book, I realize that my worries about things in the far and distant future and keeping me from leading a full and joyful life.

Now most of my blog readers know that our oldest son was recently diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome. That brings a whole myriad of new worries for me. It literally consumes my thoughts. I’m reading about it constantly. We are starting different types of therapy, and then we deal with it every day in our life.  I know that it is still pretty new, but I really don’t know that I’ve completely given it to God. There is so much unknown and I have a really hard time of letting go of the unknown. And the thing is, God will do a much better job than I will – so I’m not even really sure why I worry. My worry doesn’t change anything. It doesn’t help God. It doesn’t help me. It doesn’t help my family. Why don’t I just let it go? And I certainly will not be able to figure out the unknown. So, I just need to walk by faith. God has got this. He really does.

We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps. Proverbs 16:9

The above verse changes my perspective on absolutely everything.  So short, yet so profound.

Gracious Father,
Keep my heart open to your guidance. Take my stubbornness out of the way. Remove me and my desires from the equation and lead me where You want me.  Fill my heart with peace so that I don’t worry and so that I can completely trust You. I know you want to prosper me.  My inheritance is not of this world. Help me to remember that every day of my life.  
In your Son’s precious name. Amen.

No comments: