Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Making Little Disciples

I performed a monologue for Mother's Day at my church. The gist of it was to help all of the moms out there see that we have an important job, even though some days it doesn't feel that way. One of the things I love most about my heavenly Father is how He times things in my life. The things that the skit dealt with are things that I've been dealing with in my life a lot lately. So when I got the script, I was blown away by how much I could actually relate. God has been revealing so many things to me lately as I pray and seek guidance in my journey of motherhood. 

Some of us who are moms gave up careers to stay at home with our children. Many of us work in some capacity whether by choice or necessity. I've done both and can honestly say that not one is harder/easier than the other. They are different. The grass probably seems greener on the other side, but I can assure you that the grass just tastes different. That is all. With whatever path you chose, you have to figure out your priorities and make it work for your family

I spent three years as a full-time working mom. I've spent two-ish years working in some capacity (babysitting, house cleaning/organizing, independent agent doing web-based work, direct sales, and selling my crafts). For the past five months, I haven't been doing anything to earn extra income because my life has been so stinking hectic. 

Since I left my full-time career nearly six years ago, I have felt like I'm not contributing much to society. When I was a full-time working mom, I wanted nothing more than to stay at home with my baby. It took me three years and the birth of another child to reach that goal, and we made it happen. Since we made it happen, I feel like  my contribution to this world is minimal. Most days I teach children who complain about schoolwork, stay behind on chores and laundry, run children from one activity to the next, and never really have my act together. 

I want to do great things for God. I want to serve Him. I want to go out into all of the world and make disciples. I have definitely felt like what I'm doing is nowhere near that. 

That's where I'm wrong. Dead wrong. I have three little disciples right now. Sure, making their breakfast, lunch, and dinner may not seem like a big deal. Making sure they have clean clothes to wear may not seem like a big deal. Teaching them personal boundaries and how to get a long with other people may not seem all that huge. Telling them Bible stories and working on basic Scripture memory may not seem like it is making a difference, but it is. It isn't a difference that I see right now. I may not see it for quite some time. One day when they are grown and they hopefully will have a strong foundation in faith and know how loved they are. They will know that I was called to disciple them. Hopefully they will know that all of the things I did for them wasn't because I wanted to do them, but because He called me to do them and I obeyed. Hopefully they will see that as an example to answer God's call on their lives. I may be raising a pastor, missionary, Sunday School teacher, musician, stay-at-home parent, engineer, doctor, lawyer...only God knows. Thinking about all of these things makes me realize that my role isn't glamorous, but it is important. It is important because God has entrusted three tiny humans to me. There is no doubt that I will fail often - honestly, multiple times a day. But at the end of the day, if my children know that God loves them perfectly because of something they see in me - then I've done my job and have done so only by the grace of God. 

So my sweet mama friends and even the ones who aren't mamas yet, you are important. It may not feel like it when you are folding towels, sweeping floors, balancing the checkbook, or making dinner. But let me assure you....you are important. You matter to God. You are answering His call on your life and that is a BIG deal. Your little ones need to know how much He loves them and God has blessed mamas with an amazing gift - to love our babies like no one else can. (Drink deeply of her glory even as an infant drinks at its mother’s comforting breasts.” -Isaiah 66:11, I will comfort you there in Jerusalem as a mother comforts her child.” -Isaiah 66:13) They will carry that love with them through their entire life. We live in a world that is obsessed with fame and recognition. You may never see that and that is okay. You just keep scrubbing those toilets and wiping those snotty noses. Our children don't care if we are famous or world renowned. Our children care about the way we love them and show them God's grace. So keep on keeping on, sweet mama. You're doing a good and honorable thing. 


 25She is clothed with strength and dignity,
and she laughs without fear of the future.
26When she speaks, her words are wise,
and she gives instructions with kindness.
27She carefully watches everything in her household
and suffers nothing from laziness.
28Her children stand and bless her.
Her husband praises her:
29“There are many virtuous and capable women in the world,
but you surpass them all!”
30Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
but a woman who fears the lord will be greatly praised.
31Reward her for all she has done.
Let her deeds publicly declare her praise. 
-Proverbs 31:25-31

Peace out and much love.


No comments: