Monday, June 23, 2014

The gift of friendship

Pooh and Piglet. Copper and Todd. Scooby and Shaggy. Batman and Robin. Han Solo and Chewbacca. Dawson Leary and Joey Potter. Ruth and Naomi. David and Jonathan. Rachel, Monica, and Phoebe. Kevin Arnold and Paul Pfeiffer. Laverne and Shirley. Frodo and Sam. Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger.

What do all of these have in common? Nothing - except the fact that they have some pretty sweet friendships. What is a friend? Well, the dictionary tells me it is a person attached to another by feelings of affection, or personal regard. 

“A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same.” – Elbert Hubbard

I've really been reflecting on my friendships lately. I'm incredibly thankful for each and every one of them. One of the neatest things that happened to me in the past 5 or so years, is that my friendships have really broadened. Some of my dearest friends are 10-15 years older/younger than me. For the longest time, most of my friends were within 5 years of my age. Honestly, I was only cheating myself. Now, there is obviously a time in our lives that such a large age difference would place you as someone's babysitter or vice versa. But then there comes a point when age doesn't seem to matter. When you form a strong bond with someone – age is irrelevant. 

One thing I love about having friends who are older than me is that they can give me life advice. Chances are, they’ve been there and done it and can tell me all about it. If I fall down, they can help me up and wipe my wounds because they may have experienced the same pain. It is also one of the joys of having younger friends, because I can do the same for them. 

I’ve formed some strong bonds of friendships over things like music, love of cloth diapering, faith, and parenting. Then there are the friends who just get you. They are a rare and precious gem. You have found your “anam cara”or your soul friend. My dear friend Sarah, taught me the Gaelic phrase that describes our friendship perfectly. I’ve been blessed with a few soul friends.  Even though some of them may not be nearby anymore, I still love them the same.

“There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” – Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

 “Two are better than one because they have a good return for their hard work.  If either should fall, one can pick up the other. But how miserable are those who fall and don’t have a companion to help them up!” – Ecclesiates 4:9-10, CEB

Friendships are an amazing thing. I honestly cannot imagine my life without my home girls. Laughing hysterically. Singing at the top of your lungs. Tears of sorrow and joy. Hugs. Texts. Crafting. Advice. Praying. Just simply being. All of these things are wonderful parts of friendships, if you allow yourself to be vulnerable. You don’t have to be in constant contact with these friends. Friendships as an adult look different than as a child. It took me awhile to understand that. As your enter different stages in your life, you recognize this. You appreciate that special time and savor it. 

“It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another important thing, I’ve learned is that you may have friends in different seasons of your life. Sometimes you and your friend are in different seasons, but you always have that special love for your sweet friend. True friends are the ones who understand those seasons and are always happy to see you or hear from you. 

Good friends are blessings from the Lord. Be thankful for them. Reach out to those special friends this week and let them know how much they mean to you. 

“The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense.”- Proverbs 27:9, NLT

Peace out my dear friends. 

No comments: