Tuesday, July 08, 2014

#TrueBeautyIsLivingLife Part 2

Just over a month ago, I wrote this post declaring how I was going to wear shorts and a bathing suit this summer. I feel like it is time to update my homies, as we are well into summer.

I am excited to report that I've lost count how many times that I've worn shorts and a bathing suit this summer!

Now, let me just say that it hasn't been easy. I often find myself catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror and not loving what I see, but I immediately stop myself and focus on what I do like love.

Since I've made my incredibly freeing declaration, I've been swimming, played in the river, gone on some fun little day trips with my family, visited my sister and her family in Memphis, and a girl's trip with a good friend. All of those have included me wearing shorts and/or a bathing suit. And guess what? I had fun. Lots of fun. I've had one of the best summers that I've had in a long time. With minimal worrying about my thighs or other squishy places, I might add!

Guess what else I'm in love with? Adorable cotton sundresses. And guess what? They are not all maxis. Don't get me wrong. I still love my maxi dresses and skirts. I mean, what hides unshaven legs better than a maxi dress? But I'm super in love with knee length sundresses. Sleeveless at that! I'm getting so brave, I might even order a fatkini. If you aren't familiar with a fatkini, I suggest you do so...like now.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/07/10-reasons-i-love-my-fatkini/

What I have come to realize during my journey of self acceptance, is that throughout the years, my body sort of hovers around my current weight/size (within 15 pound and 1 size either way). So I decided that I'm going to love myself at my current size because I deserve to be loved. Some days are easier than others. It is a process and I'm getting there.

I pray that my daughter doesn't remember a mom who is always yo-yo dieting and losing/gaining ridiculous amounts of weight. I hope that she remembers a confident mom who taught her to have fun, love people, and to dance even if you shake more than everyone else. I hope she will remember swimming, playing in the river, riding bikes, hiking, and making crafts. I hope she will remember how we twirl in our pretty dresses and both have matching black maxi skirts.

I also pray that my sons will be impacted positively as well. I hope that they do not choose a lady based on the size of her hips, but the size of her heart. I hope that if they fall in love with a plus size lady, they are not ashamed. But most of all, I pray that they won't even think twice about falling in love with someone outside of the normal beauty standards. 

Beauty isn't a one size fits all sort of thing.

So, if you are still struggling with this whole body acceptance thing, I encourage you to look in the mirror and make a list of all of your awesome qualities. Then find some body positive bloggers to follow. I've started following a few new blogs and instagram accounts. It has opened up a whole new world of looking adorable as a fat girl. Those girls own it and look amazing and I'm pretty sure we can too!

~Peace out, homies. Remember, it's okay to love your back fat and belly rolls. 





No comments: