Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Memorial Day weekend

The kind folks at WRCB were generous enough to give me Memorial Day off this year, so we made the most of it. In years past I haven't tried too hard to get off Holiday's, because I'd rather have that time and a half. However, with the arrival of my baby boy and knowing Alicia is home alone with him and his "parrot squawk" as we like to call it, I tried my best to give her one more day of help. Those of you wondering what in the heck the "parrot squawk" is, just wait until you meet him. When he gets mad, he doesn't cry, he squawks like a darn parrot. Just a side story that is funny, a few years ago we vacationed in Florida with my parents and they took us to this cool little joint called harpoon Harry's. Well being an outside establishment, and serving drinks, everything came in a plastic take home cup. Being the keeper of all things, as I am, I kept the cup. When we got back home we realized the harpoon Harry cup had a parrot on the side with a "rrrrrrrrrrawk" in a bubble next to his mouth. So when Harrison cries out we say.."OK, harpoon Harry, that's enough". Funny stuff, well at least being the geeks we are, we think so.

Anyway, enough about the stupid cup, here's a little update on our weekend. Saturday was just a cleaning up day. Harrison was really good that day and it was a good thing, we got several things accomplished. Most of the day was spent cleaning and then we just sat around. There was word of a block party with an outside family movie Saturday night, so around 8 we went on a stroll to seek out the fun. Most of the neighbors haven't met Harrison yet, so we thought what better time than at a gathering. Well, after cruising by several houses, and finally talking to our friends Jay and John, we were informed the fun was for Sunday night, not Saturday. Oh well, it was nice to get out and get some fresh air. While talking to J&J they told us the city had installed a new street light in front of their house, and they haven't been home to see if it works, so as we talked we all kept a good eye on that light. It's amazing what we do for fun these day's! The night ended with us rushing home to feed little guy because he was tired of talking and ready to eat!

Sunday was pretty fun, we drove up the Alicia's parents for the day. Since it's such a drive we usually spend an entire day, eat dinner, and drive home late. It was once again time to celebrate some birthday's. This go 'round it was Alicia's, Fay's, Ashley's, and Harold's time to blow out some candles. A slip up on Debbie's part made for some funny pictures as she picked up the 9 instead of the 6 candle at the store. So Faye was 95 years old on Sunday. I think she ages well! :) Everyone got some good gifts, but Harold got to use his fishing gifts right away as he and Ricky took off to the pond to catch some dinner. I tried my best to stay away, but I couldn't stand the thought of fish being caught and me not being a part of it. So I soon headed down. Harrison and Alicia enjoyed the company of Mandy, Faye, and Debbie as they all sat on the porch and talked girl talk. (Soon enough I'll save you Harrison and you can go fishing with the guys.) Harold caught a nice catfish and after weighing him found out he was 3 3/4 pounds and 21 inches long. Pretty good fish for only two years old. Just as Debbie was calling our names for dinner I caught one myself also weighing 3 3/4 pounds, but measuring 22 inches. But Harold say's we measured ours different, so we'll say they were the same size.

Monday proved to be a sleeping around and enjoying each others company, and remember the men and women who died to allow us to do such. We woke pretty early, but Harrison and I took a nap around noon. Around 2 o'clock Alicia said she would like to go get some food and go buy her new shoes I promised her for her birthday. Rock Creek decided it wasn't a good idea to be open yesterday, so we just concentrated on food. Geez, never knew that would be so hard. Nothing was open...so we ended up at Qdoba with veggy burito's. Afterwards we stoped by Aunt Sue's for some Dog food and to talk to our friends (used to be neighbors) Uneva and Charles Shaw. They are sweet people, and we love stopping in the store to chat or just to pick up some food for one of the animals. Their dog Pilgrim loved to stare at Harrison, but being a good mannered dog he didn't even try to go close to him. As usual the trip abruptly ended with Harrison's patented "rrrrrraawk", so we knew it was time to go home. At home I felt as if I hadn't done a thing on the tool shed in day's and since Alicia and Harrison were wrapped up in feeding, I could take the time to work on the door. After trying to raise the door myself I realized I needed the help of my lovely bride and she happily held the door up as I marked the spots for the hinges. Then she and Harrison retreated to the bed for a nap as I got to work. Around 7 she came back out and said it was time for us to go get some dinner, and I showed her the new attic space I had created in the tool shed. That was something she was really happy to see, since most of our "JUNK" will go there and empty out the house. Just the roofing shingles and hanging the door and that building will be usable. Only painting to go after that. We ended the night at Shogan eating our favorite $1 sushi! YUMMY! This was a special treat since Alicia and I tried it just before she got pregnant, and you aren't allowed to eat it "with child", so she has been craving it for some time.

So overall we had a good weekend, and it's time again to get ready for work. I hope everyone else enjoyed their time as much as I did.

Love to all,
Chris

No comments: