Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Daddy's back and the kids are wild! And some other things.

Chris was gone for a mere day and a half and is back tonight. We are very glad to have him home. Our children acted as if they haven't seen him in weeks (and Monday night he kissed them goodbye). I'm glad they love their Daddy so much. The past 2 hours have been wild. They've been sword fighting, wrestling, singing and pretty much acting like like monkeys.They got used to having him home more again during Christmas break, so they missed him a lot while he was gone. Although, Harrison loved him being gone at bedtime because that  means he got to sleep with Mommy. He told me last night that he thought Daddy might be gone for a few more nights so he could sleep with me. Glad to know he loves me too :)

I went to Etowah today with my mom and sister to some of these discount stores. I was reluctant to go because I usually don't find much I need. I am a freak about household products and personal hygience products and those type stores generally don't have what I use. I found some organic toothpaste...that expired in 2006...no thanks. I did find some eco-friendly baby shampoo and diaper rash ointment. I do buy the fun foaming kids soap because Harrison will actually wash his hands when I do - so I found some of that. And I found a refill for my Spray 'N Wash (some things just can't be green). I found a good deal on kleenex and Airborne. I suppose it was worth it but I probably won't go back anytime soon. I think once a year is good enough for me.

So I was on the phone with my sister this evening discussing something she left in my van and we somehow get on the topic of my future and homesteading, etc. As weird as it may seem, I've always been reluctant to build/buy our dream house because I have always felt like I'm supposed to be the one that moves into Mom and Dad's house because I'm really the only one that grew up in the house. As terrible as it seems, I don't want to live there. The house is huge. Five bedrooms, 3.5 baths, kitchen, dining room, living room, den, wet bar, foyer, laundry. That does not include the apartment in the basement. Really and truly the house is way bigger than I'd ever want to clean or maintain! I may change my mind years from now, but right now it is really not the house for us. Ok...getting to my point. So my fear is that if we don't take the house whenever the times (hopefully a really long time from now) who will? But my sister assured me that she and my other sister feel just as strongly about the house being used and maintained. We do have another sister and I'm sure she feels the same way. So I feel a huge burden lifted off of me. Now I have the freedom to build my dream house on their property. This totally changes everything including how homesteading fits into our life. My parents have a 100 acre farm. My Daddy loved that land and did everything in his power to keep it in his family so it is important to Chris and me to make sure it stays that way. This suddenly opens up doors that we didn't know were there.

Now I'm not sure where this puts us. My initial thoughts are that we stay in our current home for a couple more years and try to save money and work on small homesteading skills. We continue to work on projects that add value to this home and sell it when the time is right. At that point in time, we move in with my mom temporarily while building a our dream house/last house. Our goal would be to build it with little to no debt involved so we are okay with it being built in phases. We would finish phase 1 of the house (livable) and continue finishing it doing as much as possible ourselves. I know our ultimate dream is to live off the grid as much as possible. I know for a fact we could have well water because my parents house has it. We just have to figure out how to tackle the energy part of it. Maybe solar? I don't know. And the homesteading possibilities are endless. There is a ton of land for gardening, raising chickens, goats, alpacas, cattle, etc.

The coolest thing about all of this. I was praying just a few days ago that if we were supposed to embrace this homesteading lifestyle that God would show me some direction. I know I want to do it but does He want us to do it? It seems like clarity came quickly. I will continue to pray and plan but I must say, a huge relief has been taken off of Alicia Holbrook's shoulders!

No comments: