Monday, January 25, 2010

Homemade Household Cleaning Recipes

My niece asked me a week ago about how to make household cleaners so I figured I'd blog them for everyone to enjoy. Please feel free to add your own in the comments.

Laundry Detergent (this works well for cloth diapers too)
22 ounces of Arm & Hammer washing soda (I can only find this at Publix)
7 ounces of baking soda
7-8 ounces of oxygen cleaner (I use Sun because it is cheapest)
Mix and enjoy. This is great for HE machines because there is no soap. Use 1-2 oxygen cleaner scoops per load. If you have hard water, use apple cider vinegar in your rinse.


Fabric Softener
Regular vinegar - softens just as well as fabric softener without the funky chemicals. Just fill your rinse dispenser or put it in a downy ball.

All Purpose Cleaner
1/2 Vinegar
1/2 Water
A few drops of tea tree oil
I put mine in spray bottles throughout the house for convenience.

Window & Mirror Cleaner
Rubbing Alcohol
I use mine in a spray bottle and use coffee filters to wipe clean

Scouring/Scrubbing Agent
Lemon slice with baking soda
Scrub tough stains, soap scums away

Cleaning Paste
Mix vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice to make a thick paste for scrubbing

Bathroom cleaner
Cheap vodka in a spray bottle

Baby Wipe Solution
2 squirts baby oil or olive oil
2 squirts of baby wash (I use Dr Bronners)
1 drop tea tree oil
1 cup water
Mix and put in a spray bottle. You can spray directly onto your wipe for desired wetness.

1 comment:

becky bell said...

Very cool! Thanks!! I am totally out of fabric softner and forgot to get it at one of the 3 stores I went to today! Arrggghhh!!! I will try it out!